Saturday, December 29, 2012

Final 5k of 2012

This morning I completed my final 5k of 2012. I did the Brazen New Year's Eve 5k, don't worry you haven't lost a few days, yes it is 29th Dec today, they did it this morning as NYE is a Monday this year.

All week I have been checking the weather forecast and it kept saying rain, so I wasn't looking forward to the race, but the rain held off for the race. The 5k was around part of Lake Chabot, it was an out and back route which included a few small hills. Dave took part with me and we walked the first half together, but then I got adventurous and started jogging on the second half, it felt really good, at the time that is, especially when I ran over the finish line, but now my back is really sore, so think it was a bit too much impact on my slipped discs - Ill survive though :)

Even though there was no rain it was still cold out there - a chilly 7 degrees, I think I was one of the few people who was stupid enough to not wear a jacket or long sleeves!! As you can see the route actually showed as being  3.44 miles, so just over 5k, so I don't know how fast I did the 5k in, the official chip results haven't been posted yet. However I did get a new PR for 1k - I did it in 10:22 :)
I ran at an average pace of 17:38/mile, I checked my app and my fastest pace is 17:21, so I am getting close to the speed I ran a 5k in back in July. I would love to start the New Year by beating this PR on Tuesday in the 5k.

 


















 




















This is the first time I have taken part in  Brazen race and they lay on an awesome spread of food at the finish line, including the local It's -It ice cream, I have always wanted to try their ice cream sandwiches  - they were so good. For those of you who don't know I am also taking part in the new Years Day 5k (which is actually on New Years Day!) and they make a special medal that goes with today's medal, you get the one below for today, and then one for NYD and then a third medal so you can make them into a mega medal. I also loved the fact my name was on my bib, this is the first time I have had a personalized bib.





















This was my 9th race of 2012 (8 5k's and 1 10k), and I got my sixth medal for my medal rack :)  Planning to fill it with lots more in 2013. Yesterday I signed up for my first ever progressive marathon for June next year.
 
 


















I was excited to plug my active link in after the race, yes I finally earned some points - I got 5 points for the race, and I still plan on walking the dogs later so may even make it 6 points.
 


Sarah xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment