Sunday, December 16, 2012

Malteser cake bars


Yesterday I went to my first ever cookie swap that was hosted by Shannon who blogs at Killer Bunnies,Inc. I was so excited to go and participate. At first I wasn't sure what I was going to make, and then whilst I was in England on vacation I remembered how I used to make malteser cake and how everyone loved it. So I bought the ingredients whilst I was there and that was what I made.





Here is the recipe for those of you who might want to try it out - apologies that the measurements are in grams and ounces (it is a UK recipe), also all of the ingredients can be purchased in World Market.

4.5oz Butter 
3 tbspn Golden syrup
2 tbspn Cocoa powder
220g Digestives, crushed
220g Maltesers, half crushed & half left whole
Method
1. Melt the butter and golden syrup in small heavy base saucepan.
2. Stir in the cocoa powder, digestives, and crushed Maltesers until well combined.
3. Allow to cool slightly, then stir through the whole Maltesers.
4. Line a tin with Cling film, pour in the mixture and press down well, but be careful not to crush the whole Maltesers.
5. Chill until set. About 2 hours.
6. Slice the chocolate malteser cake into chunky fingers and serve.




 



There were lots of yummy cookies at the swap and I tried all of them and they were all very very good. 





The mini choc chip snowball cookies (bottom right of photo) were made by my friend Marlene and she has posted the recipe over on here blog Nosh My Way. The buttermilk cookies (the brown ones top center of the photo) were made by Aviva and the recipe she used is:
Buttermilk Chocolate Cookies
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
Melt the butter in a small, microwave safe bowl.
In a large bowl, whisk sugar, vanilla extract and buttermilk into the melted butter. Gradually stir in the flour mixture until no streaks of flour remain. Stir in the chocolate chips. Dough will be very sticky.
Drop dough in 1-inch balls into prepared baking sheet, leaving about two inches between cookies to allow for spread. Flatten them a bit.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until cookies are set around the edges.
Cool for 2-3 minutes on a baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack with a spatula to cool completely.

Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies

 

No comments:

Post a Comment